I love to travel but hate to fly. I don’t overlap into the next seat and I can put down the armrest, but I’m also very aware of the discomfort (perceived or real) of my seatmate so instead I hold an origami yoga position for the duration of the flight, jamming as much of my top half into the spare few inches you gain by having the window seat. If I have to sit in a middle seat, I’ll take the next flight. There’s been a lot on the news about various airlines shouting j’accuse! at obese passengers paying the same rate for a seat as a thin person while justifying charging for baggage due to the extra weight, with all of the comment threads turning into a chorus of “fat people should buy two seats, ya fatties!”
Well, traveler Evan tried to do just that, but Delta has made it practically impossible. They can’t sell two tickets to one passenger and even if he buys it by using his middle initial on the ticket to differentiate the names, Delta might just use the seat for another passenger if they need it. They can’t even guarantee that the seats will be adjoining, so sorry, sir, 90% of your body will be in 7A, but the other 10% will be back in 28F.Evan is understandably flustered. He told Consumerist:
Okay, I’m big. You can hate me for it if you want, it seems to be all the rage, but if I’m willing to pay double, what’s the problem? Why isn’t my money good enough? By not allowing me to purchase the tickets, and by making it very difficult to find information or use online services, it really amounts to discrimination. Shame on you, Delta.
To be honest, I’ve flown Delta a few times and found them delightful (and their employees have been a shining example of customer service) but it sounds like some policies haven’t been fully sussed out by Delta yet. Have you guys had problems flying? Has anyone ever had to buy two seats, either voluntarily or been told by a, say, Southwest gate agent that they couldn’t fly without buying a second ticket?
Posted by Weetabix