Originally uploaded by mo pie
I was in Vegas this weekend, and at one point I think Weetabix said something drunkenly about Malan from Project Runway and Nikki Blonsky, but I didn’t really understand, as I was probably on the third pitcher of mojitos at that point. But I have Googled and checked Project Rungay and figured it out!
There was a fashion show on Bravo where some memorable designers from the show designed outfits for celebrities—one celeb/designer pair was Malan and Nikki; reportedly he was inspired to give her an Elizabeth Taylor quality. Fashion Sanity was inspired to present a list of lessons for designers, including:
3) We don’t have figure flaws to “camouflage”. We just have some body parts that are more perfect than others.
4) If you hear of a rule about what bigger people should NOT wear, throw it out of the window and throw away the key. We can and will wear horizontal stripes, large prints, high waisted skirts and pants AND skinny jeans. So MAKE everything you make for the skinny chicks for us. Just bigger.
6) We are fat. NOT OLD and not 60 and NOT BORING AND NOT SUBURBAN. Make us clothes as hip and cool and sexy and fun as the ones they make for skinny chicks.
8) We don’t care if something is “slimming” or not. Wanting something to be “slimming” is like making a black girl wear something that is “whitening” or making a gay man wear ill fitting jeans and a basketball jersey.
10) We are fashion savvy, creative and as a rule, WAY cooler than most skinny chicks. Make us clothes that fit our personalities and hearts.
Please note that I think old, suburban, and skinny people also deserve great fashion. Still, some good points! And check it out, size fourteens: you can even bid on Malan’s dress! And here is the fashion show where you can check out all the designs:
Posted by mo pie